It’s the last weekend of 2017! Can you believe it? 2018 is coming in fast so here’s your last chance to experience a weekend in Ottawa in 2017…
Top Three Family Friendly New Year’s Eve Events:
Rick Chiarelli’s Annual Alcohol Free New Year’s Eve Party
This popular event has gone off without a hitch for more than 25 years. What originally started as an anti drinking and driving initiative has turned into a favourite celebration for many. Head over to Ben Franklin Place at 101 Centrepointe Drive on December 31st for music by Boom 99.7, outdoor skating, games, sleigh rides, magicians, hot chocolate, and fireworks at 10pm. Admission is free. Learn more on their website.
The Scottish Society of Ottawa is throwing their 6th annual New Year’s Eve celebration at the Aberdeen Pavilion starting at 5pm on Sunday where you’ll find plenty of music, Highland dancing, children’s activities, food, drinks, and a traditional New Years Countdown topped off with the singing of Auld Lang Syne and fireworks at midnight. Admission is free. Learn more on their Facebook page.
Canada 150’s Last Hurrah!
Get your party parkas ready is right! While some of the events may be cancelled due to extreme cold (how Canadian is that, eh?) The special edition New Year’s Eve laser lights and pyrotechnics show on Parliament Hill is expected to go on as usual with displays at 9:15pm, 10:15pm and for the last time at midnight. Keep an eye on the website for anymore cancellations, changes to the schedule, or for more details.
In The ‘Burbs
- Looking to stay close to home in Orleans, but still want to go out and celebrate? Check out local foodie favourite Occo Kitchen’s New Year’s Eve event on Facebook. They’ll have delicious appetizers, drinks, music, dancing and bubbly for the countdown.
- A little too cold to head downtown for NYE this year? Conveniently located on Strandherd Drive, local Filipino restaurant Ka Familia is throwing their first ever New Year’s Eve event with delicious food and a midnight toast. Learn more on their Facebook page.
- Long time Barrhaven favourite, The Barley Mow on Greenbank is offering a special NYE deal featuring couples dinner pricing, live entertainment and bubbly at midnight. Visit their Facebook for more details.
- Fat Tuesday’s New Orleans Experience is throwing a Mardi Gras Masquerade style party featuring dinner, dancing, and dueling pianos. More details here.
- Aperitivo is hosting “the best little party in Kanata” on New Year’s Eve with fabulous food, cocktails, bubbles, and live music. If you’re looking for an intimate experience – this is it! More details here.
Even More Events
This is far from it folks! Browse through local events on Facebook, give it a Google, call-up your friends…There’s something for everyone on every corner of the city this weekend.
The temperatures are expected to stay quite low, dipping down to -28 on the 31st, so while we urge you to go out and challenge the statement “the city that fun forgot” – remember to wrap up warm and be mindful of the dangerously cold weather.
Wishing you all the happiest of new years!